Thursday 10 March 2011

The Introduction

Hello there..... welcome to my blog.... a simple and honest insight into the life of a real life Innkeeper.....

You've probably seen the tv programmes about the disassociated, bored, disillusioned or down-right eccentric folk who opt out of the rat race to open a fish farm in rural France, or make a life changing decision to uproot their family ro renovate a derelict church in Cyprus and run it as a B&B..... you know the type of thing.... well in a nutshell, that's what we did... 6 years ago.

"We" being me & the other Innkeeper in my life..... my husband.

My aim for this blog is a peek inside life in a big old country inn and restaurant through the eyes of an "incomer", a "novice", a "woman!", a "townie", ..... I could go on but by now you probably get the drift.

I will share the good, the bad and the ugly.... after all, it is a time of belt-tightening and news of pubs and businesses failing at an alarming rate under restrictive economic times....

I will feature the real life people who come here, who work here, who stay here, who eat here, who deliver here, who pass by here.... albeit anonymously of course....

I will pass on tips about food, share our best recipes and hopefully entertain you along the way.



This is an old photo of our place.... tucked away in a sleepy little hamlet in the Ribble Valley, just on the edges of the beautiful Forest of Bowland.

We moved in August 2005 and opened the doors (albeit only to the bar and snug) in October 2005 after much cleaning and rebuilding of the commercial kitchen.

I would dearly love to be excrutiatingly honest about our first 18 months here, but I actually don't wish to remember the trauma in that much detail in order to reproduce it for your eyes to read...... we will leave that there shall we....I might might hints at the genuine awfulness of folk thoughout the ramblings.... depends how naughty I'm feeling!

Our website will give all the usual details
www.theredpumpinn.co.uk

but the real news about the real workings of an Inn, including the delicious food, mixed with the gossip, the hardships, the fun and frolics, the reality in all its bareness will be presented to you here.....

....I really hope you enjoy it!